OUR HISTORY

From its earliest beginnings in 1822, as a mission to the Cherokee Indians, the congregation of the Guntersville First United Methodist Church has taken seriously the call in Matthew 28 to “Go and make disciples.” 

1869 – The first building located on the present site.

1914 – The foundation for the original brick structure was poured.

1922 – Sanctuary was dedicated.

1950 – Three story structure added to rear of Sanctuary for Sunday school rooms.

1957 – Extensive remodeling and excavation for a Fellowship Hall and Kitchen.

1980’s – Second traditional worship service was added at 8:30 a.m., along with Church Alive Wednesday night programming.

1990’s – Third worship service was added with a contemporary format at 9:45 a.m.,  the Kids Korner preschool opened, and a new facility which included a gym, kitchen, youth center and Sunday school rooms was added.

2004 – Purchased the Bains House for use as a multipurpose facility.  Renamed The House on Blount, it is used for Young Adults, Bible Study and many other activities.

2006 – Church opens Genesis, an off campus worship and program center designed to reach out to those in need.

2007 – Church purchases the Regions Bank property for primary use as a Youth Center and renames it The Armory (Ephesians 6:11), it is now known as the Youth Center.

2010 – Church purchases Grocery Store behind the main building for a future Contemporary Worship Center.

2012 – The state-of-the-art Worship Center on Blount opens for Contemporary Worship, Genesis Worship, Celebrate Recovery, and community use.

Building Collage for Web